A Catholic Cross
|Roman Catholic Church|
|Founder||Jesus Christ (debatable)|
|Created||Around First Century AD (debatable)|
|Dissolved||During first year of Tribulation|
|Replaced By||Enigma Babylon One World Faith|
The Roman Catholic Church is one of the major sects of Christianity. Its adherents believe that they are "the one true Church" founded by Jesus Christ who built it upon "the rock" mentioned in Matthew 16:18, which is interpreted by them as Peter the apostle, whom by their traditional belief was made the first pope.
Left Behind series
In the Left Behind books, the Roman Catholic Church is folded over into Enigma Babylon One World Faith along with all other major religions except for Judaism and biblical Christianity, following the rapture of the pope John XXVI who preceded Peter Mathews, who became Enigma Babylon's spiritual leader.
There were true believers within the Roman Catholic Church who were taken in the Rapture, whom Peter Matthews believes were "the chaff" taken out by God, including the previous pope whose beliefs were more along the lines of Martin Luther, one of the founding fathers of Protestantism.
Doctrines of Catholicism
Its particular doctrines include:
- The Pope is the ultimate authority and head of the Church
- Mary, the mother of Jesus, was born sinless, was a perpetual virgin, and was assumed into heaven to become the Queen of Heaven
- The bread and wine of holy communion are changed into the body and blood of Christ through transubstantiation
- Prayers to deceased saints
- The existence of purgatory to cleanse the deceased before they can enter into heaven
- Salvation is through grace through faith and through works
The most common form of worship among the Catholics is the weekly Mass service, where its participants are given holy communion in the form of a wafer.