Administrators, also known as sysops, are users with additional tools that allow them to carry out maintenance tasks on the wiki. They are titled as Officials on their profiles.
Tools available to administrators include:
- Deleting and restoring pages, page histories, and uploaded files.
- Locking (protecting) a page so it cannot be edited or renamed by users without admin rights or autoconfirmed status.
- Blocking IP addresses or user accounts from editing; and very quick "rollback" of undesirable edits.
- Editing the interface by changing system messages and skins.
- Editing restricted pages, e.g. MediaWiki pages, other users' personal .js or .css pages, or protected pages.
- Assigning and removing Rollback, and Chat Moderator rights.
- Any tools available to patrollers or moderators.
- And more...
Administrators are voted on by the community in Requests for Administrator.
Becoming an administratorEdit
Users who desire to become administrators should contribute actively to the wiki and seek to improve it in any way they can. Contributing to the wiki includes being a good role model for other users to follow, making high quality edits, moderating chat, resolving disputes amongst users, reverting bad faith edits, marking good edits as patrolled, and simply being a constructive member of the community. If you want to be an admin, also make sure to read, follow, and understand the policy. These are all behaviors looked for in potential admin candidates.
What can administrators not do?Edit
Although the admins are leaders, they are even more restricted than users without powers. They cannot do whatever they want. They are required to follow all policies, including a specific admin policy, and to not abuse their powers. All administrative actions must be for the good of the wiki.
It should be remembered that being an admin is not necessarily a privilege; rather, it is a responsibility. The role of an administrator is not more important than the role of an average editor.
List of AdministratorsEdit
A list of administrators can be found at here.