|Created||Around the First Century A.D.|
Christianity is one of the three major religions that sprang forth from the Middle East, along with Judaism and Islam. Its founder was Jesus Christ, the Son of God who was believed to be the Messiah of the Jews and the Savior of all mankind. It started from Jerusalem after the time of His death, resurrection, and ascension into heaven and eventually spread forth unto all the earth throughout the centuries. From that time it has divided into many different sects, including Orthodox, Protestantism, and the Roman Catholic Church. During the time of the Tribulation, true followers of Christ were considered enemies of the state and were called "Judah-ites". Jesus' Biblical message that He alone is the way to God also makes Christianity seem intolerant in the eyes of those of either no religion or of other religions, as seen in the reactions of characters in the Left Behind books.
Doctrines of Christianity
Its core essential teachings are that:
- The Bible is the infallible and inerrant Word of God (2nd Timothy 3:16-17)
- God is monothestic, but exists in a Trinity that consists of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit
- Jesus is fully God made manifest in the flesh (John 8:58; 1st Timothy 3:16)
- Jesus was born of a virgin
- Jesus lived a completely sinless life (Hebrews 4:15)
- Jesus sacrificed Himself on the cross for atonement of our sins, being our substitute (1st Corinthians 15:3)
- Jesus rose from the dead on the third day (1st Corinthians 15:4)
- Jesus will come again
- Salvation is by grace through faith (a gift of God), not of our works (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- Salvation is through Jesus Christ alone being the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6; Acts 4:12)
The common worship practices of Christianity include attending services with a local body of believers that make up the Church, studying the Bible, and prayer. Water baptism and holy communion services are also included, though how often they are practiced and who is allowed to participate in them depends on the congregation. In Left Behind: World at War, holy communion was practiced by the Tribulation Force core members as Bruce Barnes and Chloe Williams faced death by way of a disease that was transmitted through shipments of tainted Bibles.